Gastroenterology & Laparoscopic surgeries
Department of Gastroenterology & Laparoscopic surgeries
Gastroenterology is a specialized branch of medicine dealing with diseases of the digestive system. It covers all disorders dealing with oesophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, colon, liver, pancreas and gall bladder. A Gastroenterologist does not perform surgeries but usually performs day care procedures through endoscopes.
- • Diagnostic & Therapeutic Upper gastrointestinal Endoscopy.(Endoscopic examination of food pipe, stomach & small intestine)
- • Diagnostic & Therapeutic Lower gastrointestinal Endoscopy Colonoscopy. (Endoscopic examination of large intestine)
- • Diagnostic & Therapeutic Endoscopic Ultrasound-(EUS) (for cancer of food pipe, stomach, gall bladder, pancreas & for jaundice & pancreatitis)
- • Advance Therapeutic ERCP (Treatment for obstructive jaundice due to stones or cancers of biliary system or pancreas / Treatment of chronic pancreatitis)
- • Diagnostic & Therapeutic Single balloon Enteroscopy (for disease of small intestine-bleeding tumour)
- • Endoscopic Treatment for Obesity-(Intragastric balloon placement)
- • G.I. Physiology & Motility studies. (Difficulty in swallowing & acid reflux)
- • Consultation in Gastroenterology-For diseases related to gastrointestinal tract (food pipe, stomach large intestine, small intestine, gall bladder, Liver & pancreas)
- • IBS-(Lifestyle modified disease for gases in stomach, constipation, diarrhea, lower abdominal pain & blood/mucus in stools).
- • IBD-Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Profuse bleeding, Perforation, Strictures and obstruction, Fistula and perianal disease)
- • Simple & Safe
- • Minimally Invasive
- • Minimum anaesthesia
- • No cut therefore no scar on body
- • Easy to tolerate.
- • Minimal Post operative complications.
The Department also does Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomies for patients with long term swallowing problems such as malignant tumors of head & neck or other neurological problems.
Endoscopic Management of Chronic Pancreatitis
24 hour service for acute bleeds & acute liver failure
Comprehensive workup in chronic liver diseases leading to liver transplant assessment.
Serological assessment for Hepatitis A, B, C, D & E
- • Cases of jaundice.
- • All kinds of liver disorders (cirrhosis of liver & its complications).
- • Alcoholic Liver Disease.
- • All Hepatitis cases (HepA, HepB, HepC, Drug induced, etc.)
- • Gall Bladder Stones, Common Bile duct Stones
- • Acute & Chronic Pancreatitis
- • All cases of pain abdomen
- • Difficulty in swallowing
- • Blood Vomiting (Hematemesis)
- • Black coloured stools (Malena)
- • Blood in stools
- • Diarrhoea (Acute& Chronic)
- • Inflammatory Bowel Disease(Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’sDisease)
- • Peptic Ulcer Disease (Gastritis, Gastric Ulcer, Duodenal Ulcer)
- • Gastro esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD )
- • Dyspepsia (upper abdomen discomfort , bloating )
- • Irritable Bowel Syndrome ( altered bowel habits )
- • Constipation
Our team of consultants, paramedics &well trained nursing staff offers expertise in general gastroenterology as well as: gastrointestinal cancers, gastrointestinal motility, inflammatory bowel disease and viral hepatitis. We strive to provide patients with thoughtful, compassionate and timely care.
- • Esophagogastroduodenoscopy
- • Colonoscopy
- • Single Balloon Enteroscopy
- • Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- • Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- • Capsule endoscopy
- • Liver biopsy
- • Other Open Procedure
Therapeutic procedures by Esophagogastroduodenoscopy
Band ligation and sclerotherapy of Esophageal varices Glue injection of Gastric varices Hemoclip application for ulcers and Dieulafoy’s lesion Sclerotherapy for ulcers Argon plasma coagulation (APC) for Angiomas and Gastric Antral Vascular Ectasia (GAVE) Foreign body removal Polypectomy
Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR) and Endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) for early cancers and submucosal lesions Per Oral Endoscopic Myotomy (POEM) for Achalasia Cardia Nasojejunal tube (NJ) Placement Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG) placement Gastric balloon placement for Obesity Diverticulotomy for Zenker’s diverticulum Dilatation of benign strictures Pneumatic Dilatation of Achalasia Cardia Self Expancding Metal stent (SEMS) placement for Malignant strictures
Therapeutic procedures by Colonoscopy and Single Balloon Enteroscopy
Polypectomy, EMR, ESD Hemoclip application, sclerotherapy, APC SEMS Placement
Therapeutic procedures by ERCP
Removal of Common bile duct (CBD) stones and Intraheptic stones Stenting of CBD in bile leak Stenting and dilatation of Benign and Malignant Strictures of CBD Removal of Pancratic Duct (PD) stones Stenting of PD strictures Endoscopic Cysto-gastrostomy / Cysto-duodenostomy Endoscopic Pancreatic Necrosectomy
Therapeutic procedures by EUS
EUS guided fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) and biopsies of lymph nodes in the mediastinum and the abdomen EUS guided Celiac plexus block / neurolysis EUS guided Cyst fluid aspiration EUS guided Cysto-gastrostomy / Cysto-duodenostomy EUS guided pancreato-gastrostomy EUS guided biliary drainage EUS guided pelvic abscess drainage.