Neurology & Neuro surgery
Department of Neurology & Neuro surgery
The department of Neurology at Deepam pallavaram Hospital is a highly integrated, collaborative department of adult and paediatric neurologists who specialize in the research, diagnosis and treatment of a plethora of conditions and diseases affecting the nervous system.
This department works in close coordination with other departments like, Neurosurgery, Behavioral Sciences, Rehabilitation, Metabolic experts, Electrophysiology lab and Imaging and provides Comprehensive Care to encompass the whole spectrum of Neurology.
The Highlight of this department are:
- • Stroke Clinic
- • Paediatric Epilepsy Clinic
- • Movement Disorder Clinic
- • Child and Adolescent Neurology
- • Cerebral Palsy Clinic
- • Pre-surgical Evaluation for Epilepsy Surgery
- • Headache Clinic
- • Multiple Sclerosis Clinic
- • Neuro-infectious Disease
- • Neuromuscular Diseases
- • Neuro-Oncology
- • Pain Management
- • Peripheral Nerve Disorders
- • Sleep disorders
• Neurointensive care and stroke management
Time is brain!!!! Because of the very short "golden period" when one can revert/prevent/halt the progression of any of the above mentioned pathologies, neuro critical care unit is trained to act promptly in a short time span so that vital functions of the part of central / peripheral nervous system which is on the verge of permanent damage can be resuscitated
• Paediatric Epilepsy Program-
Comprehensive care of the patients having epilepsy in childhood where treatment is not restricted to 'only' medical treatment but also comprises other aspects of cognitive and motor development, epilepsy surgery and neuropsychological rehabilitation. More than 10,000 children have registered under this programme and participate in interactive session's parent counseling and a proactive support group.
A well-established Epilepsy Surgery Team coordinates with Children & Adults who have Refractory Seizures and are worked up for Epilepsy Surgery.
• Paediatric Neurology-
This department is very proactive. It is different from Adult Neurology since it deals with problems of a developing BRAIN. Early diagnosis, prompt treatment and cognitive retraining can prompt modify and improve the child's mental & physical development. Early intervention is the keyword. This department also works closely with Metabolic and Genetic specialities to diagnose and treat some of the rare Metabolic Brain disorders of Childhood. Those children that have Behavioral problems, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Autistic Spectrum Disorder and Scholastic Backwardness and Development delay are assessed in this department and then referred to the Child Guidance Clinic.
• Neuromuscular and Peripheral Nerve Diseasesstrong-
Managements of diseases like Myasthenia Gravis or Guillian Barre Syndrome usually yields favorable outcome due to proper assessment and timely interventions by the team of neurologist working at Deepampallavaram Speciality Hospital.
• Migraine and Vascular headaches-
This is one of the most common burdens in societyDetailedpre assessment, counseling, lifestyle modifications combined with the right medication can control and also cure Migraine. The team of Neurologists at deepampallavaram offers this Comprehensive Care to Patients suffering from Migraine.
Dedicated Neurology and Neurocritical care Team
Investigative Neuro-radiology facilities :
- • Multislice Computerized Tomography (256 slice CT with Gemstone Spectral Imaging Technology) - most advanced state-of-the-art medical imaging technology aiding in precise neurological diagnosis.
- • 3T -32 Channels Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) - Delivers the best in class resolution brain imaging to identify any brain malfunctions / malformations, tumors, strokes, ruptures or injury that may generate a seizure like disorder.
- • Dedicate Neuro Catheterization Lab - Digital Subtraction Angiography (DSA) - Detects abnormalities of the blood vessels of the brain such as narrowing and blockage, aneurysms or malformations.
- • Neurophysiology Lab : EEG, Continuous EEG, Video EEG, NCS, EMG and VEP and BEAR
Diseases of the Brain, Spinal Cord and Nerves need special care. At deepampallavaram Hospital, we have the best infrastructure and highly trained doctors and paramedical staff to treat the most challenging neurological diseases
- • Stroke Unit: Acute Stroke with medicines and interventions
- • Paralyses of all types
- • Epilepsy, Refractory Epilepsy
- • Headaches like migraine, tension & cluster headache
- • Parkinson's disease (slowing of daily activities)
- • Dementia (loss of memory)
- • Tingling & numbness in limbs (Peripheral Neuropathy)
- • Reduced or loss of sensation
- • Sudden loss of vision
- • Involuntary movements of the body (chorea, hemi-ballismus)
- • Myasthenia Gravis
- • Guillain–Barré syndrome
- • Myopathy
- • Multiple Sclerosis
- • Loss of coordination
- • Treatment with Botulinum Toxin : Cervical Dystonias, Writer's cramp, Spasm of half face (hemifacial spasm), Involuntary closure of eyes (blepharospasm) & post stroke spasticity
A condition when a part of the human brain is deprived of blood (thrombosis or embolism) or a blood vessel bursts and blood puts pressure on the brain.
- • One in six people worldwide will have a stroke in their lifetime
- • Stroke kills someone every six seconds
- • Every other second stroke attacks a person regardless of age or gender
- • Fifteen million people experience a stroke each year; six million of them do not survive
- • Stroke is a third leading cause of death in India
- • The incidence of stroke is 130 per 100,000 populations every year
- • About 20% of heart patients are susceptible to stroke
It is a simple test to check severity : FAST
Face : Check smile. one side droops?
Arms : When raised, does one side drift down or fall down?
Time : Time is critical. Call 108 immediately if any symptoms are present
Speech : Can the person repeat a simple sentence? Do words slur?
Risk Factors of StrokeRisk Factors means conditions which may lead to stroke. Risk Factors for Stroke are:
- • Old age
- • Family history
- • Men are more likely to have a stroke
- • More stroke deaths occur in women
- • Stop Smoking
- • Take exercise
- • Avoid Alcohol
- • Obesity
Other Risk Factors
- • High blood pressure
- • High cholesterol
- • Diabetes Mellitus
When a stroke victim arrives in Columbia Asia, after a clinical exam, the CT scan of the brain (done in seconds) reveals hemorrhagic or ischemic stroke. If Stroke is hemorrhagic, treatment is surgical and/or conservative. If stroke is ischemic, treatment depends upon the time lag. The earlier a stroke patient is brought to Hospital, the better are his/her chances of recovery. The first 4.5 hours are critical for treatment.
Golden Period : The first 4.5 hours are called the golden time for treating stroke because ideal treatment if given in this period leads to better outcomes.
Be Stroke Smart
- • Reduce the risk
- • Recognise symptoms
- • Respond FAST
The earlier the treatment, the better the outcome with minimum lasting damage to body functions
WE at DEEPAM PALLAVARAM HOSPITAL have 24*7 Dedicated STROKE UNIT with team of Stroke Neurologist, Neurointerventionist, Neurosurgeon, Neuroradiologist, Neurocritical care and Neurorehabilitation
Educate yourself about Epilepsy Treat it ! Never give up Hope!!
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which a person has repeated seizures (convulsions) over time. Seizures are episodes of disturbed brain electrical activity that cause changes in attention or behaviour.
Partial or Generalised.
Epilepsy does not discriminate against who it affects. It can affect anyone. There may be a family history of seizures or epilepsy. There is no one specific cause or cure..
Symptoms vary from person to person. Some people may have simple staring spells, while others have violent shaking and loss of alertness.
- • Detail Clinical Neurological Examination by Neurologist
- • An EEG (ElectroEncephaloGram) will be done to check the electrical activity in the brain. Just like ECG for heart. The brain may appear normal after a seizure or between seizures.
- • Video EEG : Patient may need to stay in Shalby Hospital where brain activity can be watched on video cameras.
- • Head CT or MRI Brain with epilepsy protocol
Do's and Don'ts
Do this :
- • Take your medicine as prescribed by the doctor
- • Remember to re-consult your doctor from time to time
- • Report any side effects that you experience while taking the drugs
Avoid this :
- • Alcohol/ recreational drugs
- • Skipping epilepsy medications
- • Lack of Sleep
- • Excessive Fasting
- • Never share your medicines
- • Never stop medicines without the permission of your doctor
- • Medicines need to be taken every day to be effective
In case of a seizure :
- • Turn the person to his side
- • Loosen any tight clothing
- • Do not try to stop the movements
- • Do not put anything between his teeth
Anti Epileptic Drugs help to reduce the frequency of seizures and eventually control the seizures. People with epilepsy can live a normal life. Help epilepsy is not contagious.
When to visit the Epilepsy Clinic
- • When a person has a seizure for the first time
- • Seizures not controlled with Antiepileptic drugs
- • When seizures last for more than 5 minutes. This is called Status Epileptics and is an emergency
Make an appointment
Personalised care Its our responsibility...
Call Us: (+91) 82202 82202 For Emergency
Reset Theme Style
Chose theme color
Chose Background Image (Boxed Wide)